I think of spirituality as the nonphysical aspects of the human being that involve:
– Learning, and
These nonphysical aspects give us:
– The ability to establish conscious contact with a power greater than ourselves.
– The capacity for self-awareness,
– The ability to make decisions and exercise free will,
– The ability to seek and find a sense of meaning and purpose in life,
– The the ability to embrace, endure, transcend, and find meaning in the pain, problems, and suffering in life
– The capacity to enjoy and find peace in a wide variety of human experience.
With the continuing evolution of thought, there is a large area of overlapping concepts that can be described in both spiritual and psychological language while expressing essentially the same ideas and concepts. The future challenge will be to agree upon a common language to reduce confusion and misunderstanding and facilitate the continued growth of the human mind and spirit that is aligned with higher principles reflecting goodness love, and peace among of of mankind.
The above statement summarizes my best thinking on spirituality at this moment. Please remember that I am but a fallible human being who could be wrong.
Terence T. Gorski
November 4, 2014