1. Always strive to make “truth” a part of who you are. Keep asking questions and learning from others. Know your values and never sell yourself out.
2. Believe in yourself, even when others with degrees and prestigious positions put you down.
3. Respect the core of humanity in everyone.
4. Remember that we all, even the least among us, have an important story to tell. We all have a great story that we are living. All personal growth starts when people tell their story to someone who really listens, understands, takes them seriously, and affirms their story as a valid human experience.
5. Don’t be afraid to work hard. Do what needs to be done, especially the things that other people don’t want to do.
6. Learn from everyone.
7. All true stories end in death. Death grins at us all. The courageous grin back and then break into laughter as they realize it is what it is.
8. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Find the humor in life. Learn to laugh even during the hard times.
9. Remember that common sense is not very common and is often trained out of people by higher education.
10. Most importantly: Illigitimi non carborundum (Don’t let the bastards wear you down).
11. Teach others always and in everything that you do — sometimes use words. Mostly teach by what you do. This is the most effective way to teach. We always learn the most by teaching others what we know.
12. We all stand on the shoulders of those who have come before us. Build strong shoulders for the next generation to stand on and pass forward your best understanding of the truth.
13. Build others up by pointing out their strengths.
14. Don’t tolerate bullies – for all bullies are cowards at their core.
15. Don’t trust bureaucrats or people who hide behind degrees, past accomplishments, and pleas to authority as their only basis of knowledge.
16. Know that you are a part of the flow of history and that what you do or don’t do makes a difference.
17. Never lose your compassion and empathy.
18. Learn to transcend anger and fear. Take both seriously and when they come to visit, find out what they are there to tell you. Believe what these feelings are telling you and act accordingly.
19. Don’t be afraid to have enemies. All people who do things of importance have enemies. Thank your enemies for forcing you to be your best.
20. Remember that life is but the brief flicker of a candle in the darkness of eternity. Don’t be afraid to burn brightly illuminating as much of the darkness around you as possible.
21. Fools and people of evil intention hate the light and will try to turn yours off. Don’t let them.
22. Love and let others love you, for in the end that is all that really matters.
23. Know that monsters are real. Know also that it is the job of people of good will to fight the monsters. Monsters can be fought and defeated. Never ever let the monsters win. Before committing your life to fighting evil, remember that we can become what we hunt. Don’t let yourself become like the monsters that you are fighting.
24. If you are still breathing it means that there is still something important left for you to do.
25. Don’t go quietly into the night, unless you believe in your heart that it is the right thing for you to do.